Vertex Solar™ Pool & Spa Heating System -- Installation & User Manual
© Copyright 2019 Optex Solar Pty Ltd. All rights strictly reserved.
Drill out the puncture using a sharp drill bit (being careful not to drill into the opposite wall). Inject chlorine resistant
pool silicon into the collector inner to create a ~10cm inner silicon disk plug. Wait one day before re-pressurizing.
Pump is running smoothly
but no water is coming
out of the spa outlet.
* Morning light is not strong
enough to reach the pump height
* There is a blockage or the PVC
ball valve is closed
* Pump height is too high
* Check for blockages or open PVC ball valve
* Wait for 11am-3am sun (for a North install)
* There maybe U bend air traps in the plumbing lines which are
adding to the pump height, these should be removed.
* Failing these points a stronger pump may be required.
Pump is running loudly,
like it’s churning
Air bubbles making their way
through the pump
* If the water level falls to the visible section of the strainer upon
start up then the suction line maybe too long, in this case you will
need to extend the buffer chamber, see manual Plumbing Section.
* Alternatively, if the water level in the buffer chamber drops
throughout the day check for air leaks in the suction line
Pump is emitting a higher
frequency a noise
* Stop the system immediately, air is getting into the pump
somehow, check connections, see box above.
Some of the collectors
are hot when the sun is
shining and the pump is
Water is not flowing evenly
through all collectors
* Make sure the header pipe is sloped toward the outlet.
* Panels should be mounted with a minimum 5-10 degree pitch to
remove surface air bubbles.
The outlet flow is strong
and the system is working
but the pool is not warm
Potentially undersized system
* Check for balanced water flow through all collectors. If collectors
are coolish in full sun, then the system is undersized. Note: in
ground pools need a week before fully temperature is reached.
Consider using a solar blanket, or add more collectors.
The outlet water flow is
low and the outlet water
is very warm to hot
Potentially undersized pump
configuration, or flow restriction,
or U-bends adding to pump height
* Check for blockages or water flow restrictions and the ability of
the chosen pump configuration to pump strongly up to the
required height. A larger pump configuration may be required.
The solar panel is in full
sun and is connected to
the pump however the
pump is not working.
* The under-temperature
thermostat may have not come to
* Potentially faulty, pump, solar
panel, or thermostat switch, or
rotor blockage in the pump.
*Check the power of PV panel first by inserting a standard (GX5.3
base) 12V Halogen globe into the connector pins.
* Check the pump by connecting to a 18VDC battery
* If the pump has been exposed to potential particles in the water
the rotor could be blocked - dissemble the pump slowly on a clean
table (take note of the assembly) clean any blockages.
When the system is
running air bubbles do
not stop appearing at the
* Air leak in the suction and/or
array inlet lines
* Negative pressure at vacuum
*Check all connections on the suction, pump and array inlet line
and make sure they are air tight.
* Install a brake ball valve in the return line to increase back
pressure, constrict until bubble decrease
The system overheated
my spa/pool past 40°C
Faulty or inadequately insulated
*Check that the thermostat is working by heating the aluminium U
channel to 45-50°C (keeping the thermostat switch dry).
The system turns off
midday below my
Reduced flow rate or larger panel
arrays create a large temperature
differential triggering the over-
temperature thermostat early
* Check plumbing for blockages and/or air locks. You may need a
stronger pump for more flow. Else contact email@example.com
on this issue.
The system is warming
my spa beyond my
* Temperature adjustments on the Vertex system are made via
flow restrictions, install a brake ball valve in the return line to
decrease flow and trigger the over-temp thermostat earlier.